Friday, August 12, 2011

Something Completely Different

But it's still photography. I'm bored. I love the style I have right now, but I'm bored with it. What's special? What's incredibly different and unique? Yes, it is pretty. Yes, it conveys the meaning I'm trying to get across. But tonight I decided to do something very different than what I've done lately. I actually used GIMP again so I could play with layers. When I play with layers it's typically because I'm combining images. This time I took the image of a plant and turned it into something crazier, as seen below.



Then came the really fun part. I started layering photographs from my most recent photo shoot with Jasmine. I've come up with some things I really love. I'll show my favorite first. I put a motion blur filter on the plant layer which helps give it a dreamy look. I think this may be the new background on my computer. I just love this image.


Next up, inspired by Sara Strimpel, I made my first diptych. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I know I like the image above more, but this one has something different to say.


This last image certainly has a darker feel and is something I stumbled across completely by accident. When adjusting how the plant layer was filtered over the main image, I clicked on one called hue and ended up with this. It looks like she has blood smeared all over her face, but it makes a powerful photo. I can't resist putting it up.



It feels good to create something different. I had explored layering random images with my portraits, perhaps I will continue with this. That's all for now!

 

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the last photo most, but my other favorites are your favorite and the original blue of just the plant. That one reminds me of the project we did in photo with the blue paper and using the sunlight to develop our photos which I'm completely spacing on the name of but oh well. I didn't like your favorite at first because I didn't exactly get it, but just looking at it for a while longer changed my mind. It makes me think of stargazing and i love the mood you gave it by adding the plant.

    I just love the last one the most because she looks so much more intense. Her gaze has become more powerful with the added red, it just helps her stand out more. And congratulations on your first diptych! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second one down is the background on my phone

    ReplyDelete